Tuesday, January 19, 2010

By the Time I Get to Phoenix

Pat and I just returned from a trip to the sun, the blue sky and warm air all wrapped around Montezuma's Castle, the red of Sedona, the amazing historical sights of Jerome and unforgettable vegetation. I fell in love with the cacti, especially the saguaro. They are everywhere and they look like motionless desert inhabitants. History can't say what happened to some of the tribes of long ago such as the Sinagua who lived in the cliff dwelling at Montezuma's castle, but I say they are all alive and patrolling the land in the form of these stately growths that thrive in the desert. The Desert Botanical gardens in Phoenix pay tribute to all manner of these hot weather wonders as well they should.
Combine all that with time spent in the excellent company of who is probably my oldest friend left alive, and I say it was a trip of a lifetime. What a joy to spend time with this kind, generous and full of personality friend in the gorgeous setting of her home. Her husband Irvin is absolutely the host with the most. The best two cacti in the desert are there in honor of these two wonderful people.
And, yes, there are owls in Arizona. The native people obviously had high regard for them as they show up in their art work everywhere. And I had to look twice at the several owls I saw on, of all places, TV antennae. So the elders of the modern retired tribe have reverence for them as well. But the owls weren't real. They were just used as odd ways to adorn the otherwise ugly spires of TV land.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Terry! I didn't know you missed my comments. I am a little shy about pestering people on their blogs. I don't know why, because I love comments, too! I've only been to Phoenix once (not in summer, thank goodness) - mostly indoors for a conference. I wished I could have spent more time out in the desert. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. No snow! No rain!

    ReplyDelete