Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Gratitude Service

My life is laden with good fortune and I had a unique chance to share my gratitude for it at a recent gathering at my campus. Clackamas Community College held a Gratitude Service in the Language Arts Center yesterday afternoon. Staff, faculty and students were all invited to attend and read a poem, essay, short story or any other verbal way to express thanks.
Sue M. shared a couple of her blog entries posted last summer from her stay in Czechoslovakia. She was thankful for the kindness of strangers who helped her overcome some physical pain and the emotional agony of being homesick. A student read her contest winning poem that will be featured on the college president's holiday card. Kate G. recited a stunning poem that she had created to express gratitude for the gentle power of the natural world. Ryan D. read an amazingly descriptive tribute to his now deceased family dog. There were more poems and another speaker recanted accomplishments on a global level that the entire earth family can be grateful for. I shared pieces from my "Gratitude Journal" and featured artwork by my grandgirl Mary and a note of gratitude from my personal trainer who couldn't be there but wanted to. It was a comforting gathering of people expressing genuine thanks for good things in their lives and turned out to be a shiny life experience for me. What a wonderful preparation for turkey eating tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely gathering. We've had a Thanksgiving tradition for several years of writing & sharing Thanksgiving poems after the meal. Not sure if we'll pull it off tomorrow, but it's been a good tradition. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete