Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sky Scarf

Exactly one year ago today I started my sky scarf.  It is finished today.  I spent a little time every day capturing the weather by knitting two rows of an approximation of the day's sky.  Colors included various shades of blue, gray and white, and even black for really stormy days.  If the day was sunny, I attached a little tassel of yellow on the side.  I used special hues for trips to Arizona, Hawaii and Black Butte.  I attached color appropriate tassels for holidays. When I study it, I can trace memories of August 25, 2011 through August 25 2012 just by "reading" the scarf.

It was an interesting project and I will use it as a valance over the double hung window in my craft room. It will never leave that room.  I will not take it to my knitting group to mingle with the other sky scarves and I will most certainly not let it go on display at the yarn shop on Main Street.  You will not see a picture of it here.  It is rudely crafted due to running out of yarn here and there and joining in colors of just enough weight difference to add width.  Somehow or another I added stitches so that the width became even wider and odder.  It is as ugly a project as I have ever undertaken and completed.  Ordinarily I would have quietly murdered such a bungled project but because it took so much time and I can easily trace such pleasant memories at the sight of it I could never do such a thing.  I did not play the role of Madame LaFarge who knitted all those horrid secrets into her project. My secrets are all pleasant personal memories, and I will cherish them and let the thing live forever in the solitary confinement of my craft room.

1 comment:

  1. Such a fascinating thong to do. I am sorry you will not be posting a photo.

    ReplyDelete