Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Another Health Journey

The journey has lasted over a year. It began with heedless changing of anti-depressants and, I hope, started to end yesterday.

All of my readers (I think I have as many as eight) know that I was diagnosed late in the Spring of 2017 with major depressive disorder after seeing a slew of doctors. I finally ended up with a reputable, solid, and most likable psychiatrist who was the one who offered the diagnosis. Then we were off to figuring out which meds would provide the most relief.

We carefully tried some combinations of a pinch of this and a a dab of that and ended up with two different anti-depressants and one mood stabilizer. So along with my heart medications, I have a handful of pills that I choke down morning and night. I began to feel some better but am still working with some depression and a boatload of anxiety.

 My world has diminished to a very small comfort zone just as I started to contemplate a thrilling trip to somewhere fun, beautiful, and exciting. Ireland? Italy? Maybe one of those scenic river cruises where you can float by fancy castles on the nearby hills and take a cooking class along the way as well? Truth is, my travel radius has narrowed down to about five miles, ten on a good day.

Then the trembling and shaking and overall weakness along with stiffness and a new and unsightly walking posture made getting around even my own house began. And so did despair. Mornings became nearly unbearable and I didn't really relax until late afternoon or evening.

Last week my psychiatrist threw her hands up in the air and declared there would be absolutely no more med changes until I saw a neurologist. She found me one who specializes in movement disorders. Have you guessed yet?
                                  Parkinson's disease!

I saw the neurologist yesterday. We were with her for well over an hour and she did several tests and eventually she shared her diagnosis of  Parkinson's disease. It is not curable but it is treatable. I have lots to learn about this oddball disease. You can ask Google about it yourself, if you're interested in details. I've already ordered books. There's even one called Parkinson's Disease for Dummies!

And, yes, I am shocked.  But I feel more relief than anything else. 
I started the new medication yesterday and the doctor expects that I will feel better within two weeks. My household feels as if a triumphant celebration is occurring even though we are certainly aware of the seriousness of this disease. I will not die from this; I'll die WITH it. Strange words and a strange way to end this blog but I feel happier and more encouraged than I have in months and months.

2 comments:

  1. Wow what a journey. I’m relieved that you are now on the right path. You are not alone in your understanding of Parkinson’s. You write beautifully, and hope you will write about this chapter as it will help people ( some of them my friends) from a personal perspective. Looking forward to your next blog. With fondness, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sent you an email...love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete