Thursday, November 4, 2010

Week 6

Adjunct faculty members share officespace. That makes sense in every way. I've had good relationships with the people I've shared officespace with over the years. Kevie is a young and hip instructor whose fashion sense and thin, willowy build make her a favorite with young students and a favorite of mine because of her glib yet earnest approach to the world. She's slick and she's smart and she's also a young mother of a young teenager. We've had many an interesting conversation about managing the lives of teens.
My favorite office partner is Randy. He teaches more regularly at PSU where he seems to fit in comfortably with the more liberal, globally involved scene there. Here at CCC, he is a favorite of all the students because of his charm, wit, and intelligence. He is also seriously involved with what he does in the classroom and his followers can't help but take his lead. He and I have grown our own sort of closeness over the years. I admire his life perspective and the yuppie lifestyle he and his wife have in the fashionable Laurelhurst area of Portland.
Then there's Sue. She arrived on the scene a few years ago and right away assumed her position in what I consider to be my desk area in the office. My books, files, and wall space all lend themselves to my personal identity. But I am forced to use the alternate computer which makes me put my back to the door. She holds student conferences in the office during my office hour time which interrupts my paper work and shuts down my telephone communication. In the absence of her students, she tells me constantly about life with her dog, garden, daughter, cooking, travels in and out of the metro area, and all manner of opinion about teaching and student management. She approximates my age but is new to teaching having spent many years as an RN. Impressive, huh?
Sue is not my favorite. Actually, she annoys the hell out of me on any number of levels, not the least of which is her obvious desire to get hired full time and her obvious lack of tact and diplomacy when it comes to paving the way toward that end. Still, she's a good instructor in spite of the fact that she displays a negativity toward students that I neither follow nor understand.
I was troubled to learn that her teaching schedule would match mine this term in that we would both be on different campuses at the same time. I was relieved to learn that I was the only one using office space at the other campus and never ran into her at the main campus. Whew. What a relief.
Until this morning that is. Lo and behold, my arrival at the other office found her sitting in "my" desk. My level of botheration rose. So I hugged her. I asked about her doings. And, sure enough, she got out the pictures and started in on an update of her life. I listened. I was polite and focused. When it was time for class, I sincerely wished her a good day.
Chances are I won't see much of her the rest of the term. So I was glad for a warm and friendly moment. But I won't miss Sue. I'll just always wonder if she manages to get on full-time.
P.S. Those are real names of real people.

1 comment: