Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holiday Interval

In between tree and stay-up -til-midnight time is this lull that prepares us to ease back into the non-holiday world of January. I've enjoyed the usual things that I enjoy about Christmas-lights, cards, decorations, gathering of friends, the fun food. The music is not so fun unless I listen to the classical station and hear beautiful sounds that seem so Christmasy but are less familiar. I confess: I get tired of hearing "Jingle Bells." And, while I'm being honest, having 64 Christmases under my belt has made me just ever so blase about it all. But two events really stand out just as two or so events stand out every year. They are the happenings that make each holiday season special in its own way. This year the stand-outs were Christmas day brunch AND dinner with our friends Ed and Penny and our family gathering at Amy's house which was all pleasant and devoid of any sweaty family drama.
I'm wrong. There were three outstanding events. Another notable time was the card making party I had with my beloved women relatives from the Woodland, WA area. I have come to absolutely cherish these girls and get as excited as a little kid to spend time with them.
So that "little kid at Christmas" feeling was there more than I thought it was. The camaraderie of friends twice in one day, the family at peace watching the grandgirls enjoy the magic of Christmas and the excitement of being with my favorite relatives made this Christmas as special as all the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment