Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Year of the Pika

1/1/11: Who can resist writing this date? I certainly don't want to miss this one time opportunity. Among other things, the New Year reminds me of calendars and, therefore, of time management and how things will be now that I'm practicing retirement. I've already hung up our new Linnea calendar just as I've done every January First since 2004. I can't resist the art work and I like the tradition of using the same artistic reference year after year. But doing so prohibits the use of any other kind of calendar and the market place is stuffed with them. You can even get one for 50% off right now and maybe even 75% off if you wait another week or so. Can you even believe how many interesting, beautiful, amusing, unusual and ridiculous calendar subjects there are to be had? If not, just wander over to the kiosk at your nearest mall and study the choices.
No resolutions for me. I think we've all scared ourselves off this traditional practice because it's so difficult to determine goals or dreams as we experience our in-the-moment kind of lives. Instead, I like to think ahead about what MIGHT or COULD happen this year if I gather up just the right amount of energy and point it in just the right direction. Working toward that end, Bobbie and I have started a new writing adventure about pikas hence the title of this entry. She's done lots of field work. I took one amazing trip into the high country to see this little critter in its natural habitat and I'll take a few more in order to totally absorb their special environment. I've even done a little research and started the first part of the text. The focus of this project is becoming more finely tuned as the days go by and I'll get back to you about our progress. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. I know they live in the talus slopes, but I've never seen one. I'm fascinated to learn more about pikas from you and your sister. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete