Saturday, January 15, 2011

Eeny Beeny Bits of Time

Time takes on such new meanings when one isn't required to report to work. (That's just more comfortable for me to say instead of "when one is retired.") There are the regular, mundane chores and activities that need to be attended to daily and the same amount of time is used to perform them as when working. One can actually spend more time on some leisure activities such as solving the daily crossword or watching an extra program on HGTV. But it's the little increments of time that are beginning to stand out. For example, I have started allotting myself one hour to work on the new book; maybe 45 minutes mastering the brkyobrk stitch in knitting (which I have been thinking about A LOT lately; and perhaps setting aside 45-60 minutes to read during the day. I've never had to do this before. I just worked on those things of pleasure as time for them presented itself. Not so now. I even find myself micro-managing my very minutes of free time. An example might be: I will allow myself the time while my tea is steeping to look at my new recipe book. That may help me to decide what to cook when Lee and JoAnn come for card night next Tuesday. Or maybe I'll set up something like this: After I clean two bathrooms I can check my e-mail. As I mentioned, time management has drastically changed now that I don't have to factor in school work. This is quite fun. Now I have to find a video about that knitting stitch I've been thinking about.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still several years out from those time management issues. Sounds like you're handling the transition well!

    ReplyDelete