Saturday, December 1, 2018

RED, WHITE, AND GREEN

I am still working on what to choose as a topic for the holiday season.  I can come up with a few ideas and Pat tried to help me out, but all the ideas seemed to be so over-used and trite that I rejected them all. So I've decided to write about a few things I DON'T like about the holidays.

Here's one:  Hallmark movies on TV.  These are predictable and all alike. A young woman lives in a small town or comes to stay in one that is picture perfect and covered with the just the right amount of snow. She has a problem to solve that includes an introduction or reunion with  an unbelievably handsome young man and they solve the problem together.  At the end of the movie they discover they are in love and you see them kiss each other for the first time ever as the bland holiday music plays in the background.

Another thing I don't like about the season are the bell ringers that stand outside Fred Meyer.  I don't want to make eye contact with them because I don't want to drop change into the little black pot and I feel guilty about it. When I leave the store, I suffer from the same guilty feeling.  As the month of December goes by, I finally force myself to make a contribution a couple of times and then I feel a little better. 

Holiday music on the radio drives me crazy.  I quickly get sick of hearing songs such as "I saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus" many times over as I click on my car radio.  What is even more irritating is that I get that song stuck in my head and then hum it all day long until "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" or some other jolly tune takes its place.

The joys of making Christmas cookies are untrue. The only good way to pull this off is to make the cookies when you're all by yourself in the kitchen and nobody's home. I've put in my time having fun with the grandkids making and decorating bells, trees, Santas, and snowmen.  This activity takes up at least twice the time you plan for and ends up with absolutely the largest and most difficult kitchen mess that involves scraping frosting off the oddest places in the house such as on the toilet handle.

And then as the season ends and I spend the hours needed to take  down all the Christmas decorations, I think about all the things I've enjoyed and feel nostalgic that I have to wait another whole year before we get to do it all again. Go figure.

   

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear- I opened owlgrovegirl while watching a Hallmark movie. 😇 Please send some bell ringers to Miami - I can’t find any- It doesn’t feel quite right- In case you want to be doubly irritated Hallmark now has its own Christmas radio station 24/7- 😀I can’t comment about making Christmas cookies as I’m a pathetic baker in every season. But I certainly enjoy the smell of spice and sugar After much moving, downsizing & decluttering- when I take out my
    few memories.of Christmas past, it gives me a warm feeling. But that’s me- I have to show this to Gary who will say, “ See Owlgrovegirl agrees with me!” as he rolls his eyes at my response.😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, it's good to hear from you, Deb. We have some lovely work memories, don't we?

      Delete
  2. Absolutely, very special. I have to revise my Hallmark movie response - I have to limit it to one a week. Any more princes from an unknown country ending in “ rovia” I think my eyeballs will get stuck in the top of my head. However, getting ready to put out the Santa framed picture from a wonderful era.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully what you like about Christmas far outweighs the dislikes. I do not like all of the build up to Christmas. As hard as I try I always seem to succumb to it. Then when it is over I experience a little let down. I long for the days of Christmas past, when life seemed so much simpler.

    ReplyDelete