Friday, September 30, 2011

The Man I Slept With Last Night

The October Wellness report begins on this last day of September. I need to tell you about my sleep partner of last night. His name is Travis and he's 34 years old. He bikes to work every day, is the father of a three month old son, and runs the Sleep Lab at the hospital. I had lots of time to chat with him as he wired me up with 27 different attachments that monitored various body activities while I slept last night. Most of them were attached to my scalp so my hair was full of this gritty, sticky stuff when I left the hospital this morning.

It was an almost pleasant and close to comfortable event. The room tried hard not to be a hospital room but there was no escaping the bad decor and the just there for function bathroom. Its best feature was its outstanding cleanliness which I approved highly. But I did sleep after watching some HGTV on a monitor that was so high up that I couldn't really see it with my glasses and couldn't really see it without my glasses so I gave up on that and read for awhile. I talked to Sarah on the phone for a few minutes, read some more, than alerted Travis just by talking that I was ready to go to sleep. He came in and plugged the hose in and placed the C-PAP mask on my face and bade me a quiet "good night."

I figured it would take me a long time to go to sleep but in what seemed like mere moments, Travis was back telling me it was time to get up. I slept the whole night through which is extremely rare for me. I did this in spite of the weird mask, the hard bed, the lack of fresh air, and not enough reading time. I am very impressed with the C-PAP and can't wait to have one of my own.

Then this morning I made several calls to various doctors for a follow-up appt. with my sleep doctor, one with my fancy downtown cardiologist, one for a colonoscopy (lucky me), and one for a mammogram and a bone density test on the same day. All went smoothly; can you believe that? The only glitch was that the hospital couldn't find the order for the mammogram and the bone density test. That took a few more phone calls and ended up that my primary care doctor's office will need to re-fax the order. That's not too bad and not too inconvenient. I can easily try to rework that this afternoon.

So there. All medical considerations are attended to and I'm still lurching around the gym floor with my personal trainer. The eating program is a little wobbly at this point but I haven't given up. Are you as up to date with your own personal wellness program as I am?????

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha! What a great title. Sounds like your wellness project continues to roll along in wonderful ways!

    ReplyDelete