Monday, March 26, 2012

Be Prepared


Weekend before last found us up on Silver Ridge on the western (southern?) edge of Silver Falls State Park looking for Great Grey Owls. It was cold, very cold. In fact, we stomped through several inches of snow and the sky spit at us all afternoon. The wind blew right through my sweat shirt. My feet got soaked. I received many little lectures about always going out into the wild fully prepared. So this weekend I staggered out to the car under a load of stuff that wouldn't fit into my backpack: extra shoes and socks, hooded sweatshirt, heavy sweatshirt, padded rain coat with hood, hat, visor, sunglasses, camera, binoculars, lunch and purse. The setting was the same as last weekend but the sunny weather made the landscape much friendlier and more inviting. I was properly dressed and even thought about shedding my big sweatshirt while basking at our "scanning station" that we set up in what we now call "SilverRidge Meadow." Ahhhh. . . .no owls but gorgeous sunshine, a fresh breeze and clean silence. What a way to start Spring Break!

No comments:

Post a Comment