Monday, March 5, 2012

Look Carefully! Do You See It?

Yesterday was a struggle for me. We went up and down hill after hill (okay only two); I sweated a bucket (my neck was wet where I was carrying my camera and binoculars); and I could barely breathe (this is true). We were in Tryon Creek State Park looking for a Barred Owl. We got to the right spot according to the park ranger and didn't see a thing except for a very beautiful and well constructed nest. I needed to rest. Bobbie suggested a log "over there." Whew. I was so glad to sit and even to lean back on the log behind me. "Just like a chair," I said. Then she immediately said, "OMGosh! I SEE it!" After several attempts to describe its location, she finally succeeded in getting me to see it. We were thrilled and awed. Our new binoculars allowed us to watch it move, see its yellow beak and study the bars on its fluffy chest. What a restful time it was having in the warm sun. And what an exciting time for us. We were also happy to share its location with other hikers and walkers who took pictures and enjoyed the sighting with us. Owls 13 Owlers 5!

1 comment: