Thursday, March 8, 2012

Granny Dream

Picture this: A stylish new bakery has opened in the Oregon City area. I take my grandgirls there after school for a special treat with this vision of a French bakery/cozy "teatime" sort of experience with the girls and me eating pastel colored treats at a table covered with a pretty lace tablecloth. The flowers are blooming outside and the sky is spring blue. Mary chooses a thick slice of almond poppyseed bread. Alicia chooses a huge chocolate crinkle cookie and I decide to pass so I can just enjoy the girls' chatter. We sit. Alicia wants a bite of Mary's. Then she wants another bite. Hers is "too sugary." She wants a third bite of Mary's but Mary has lost her sense of sharing and heaves a large sigh and shouts, "NO." Alicia whines. I reprimand and Alicia says, "stop." This is directed straight at me. I tell her to watch her attitude. She tells me to watch mine. Mary tries to broker a bit of peace. Alicia tells her to "stop." I fold up the remainder of the treats and lead them out to the car. At home, I send Alicia to her room. "Fine," she replies. The afternoon has broken down and is only saved by doing math homework with Mary. And guess what: I can't figure out how to do some of the problems. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha - life in realtime. Maybe it's a granny nightmare? Oh, to savor the peaceful moments. Love the teatime images.

    ReplyDelete