Monday, April 19, 2010

Much Better Than My Thoughts on Poetry

"Where does a poem come from?. . .I do everything to words. I'd be happy to send them to Florida or buy them hot dogs, anything, if they'll just come through. . .The most important thing in a poem is silence. . .Must poetry have music?. . .the poem at the end of the world. . .Writing poetry is a kind of rapture, saying the unsayable, a conversation with the world, a record of time spent in jail, anger. . ."

and here's a good poem
How Poetry Comes to Me
It comes blundering over the
Boulders at night, it stays
Frightened outside the
Range of my campfire
I go to meet it at the
Edge of the light
by Gary Snyder
All this from the book The Language of Life by Bill Moyers and all for Nancy.

1 comment:

  1. I love this part: I do everything to words. I'd be happy to send them to Florida or buy them hot dogs, anything, if they'll just come through.

    Hahahaha! That was great.

    How is the extreme eating working out for you? I know you'll have a wonderful time on your trip to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete