Thursday, April 1, 2010

What Happened (read the post below first)

Nothing happened other than an orderly report to the new classroom. We settled in and then had a truly interesting conversation based on an article I read in The Oregonian earlier this month about people raising their middle fingers to police officers. The writer managed to report an incident and its background without ever revealing his own perspective. The discussion was a successful place to jump off to an effective start in a class based on the writing mode of argument and persuasion. Their responses to the idea that I could use the "f" word in class surprised me. What would you guess they said?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that class went well! My students didn't prank me, but my family did...and they got me good...I am so gullible.

    They've been conditioned about the naughtiness of the "f" word in school settings for at least 13 years prior to their entering your college classroom...either they appreciated the greater freedom of a college setting, or they were shocked that such a nice grandma lady would say such a thing. :)

    ReplyDelete